Home

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Shatter Me

Shatter MeShatter Me by Tahereh Mafi


My rating: 2 of 5 stars


ratings: 2.5 stars


I have been anticipating Shatter Me since I heard about it. I got more excited when the cover was revealed. Who wouldn’t? Hunger Games and X-men concept in one? It makes a very intriguing story.


Now does it live up to my expectations? No. Am I disappointed? Yes, I won’t deny it. Do I hate it? Not totally because there are still some factors that I like in this book.


I don’t have any problems with the story plot. I actually found it rather interesting. The mutant/super power concept is pretty cool. The moral of the story is really good and very realistic, that it could possibly happen to us. I don’t know maybe it is just me who isn’t blown away by this book. I can’t find the reasons why so many were captivated in this book. Is it the writing style, the plot, the characters? I already explained that the plot is pretty ok for me. As with the characters, I realized that Adam is the only one that I found interesting enough for me to like. I love his determination and will power. Unfortunately I had a hard time liking Juliette. I think she is ok but I just can’t connect with her. She is so freaking weird that I struggled a lot reading her thoughts. I tried so hard to like her but I simply can’t.


I found the writing style repulsive, I can tell you some reasons why. Well, the crossed out words doesn’t bother me that much. But the repetition of words DOES! Those repeating words drove me crazy! I just can’t tolerate it, it is so annoying! Some may like the way it was written but for me it was a total failure. There are some lines that make me laugh so hard that I nearly fell off the bed.


- “His lips are at my ear and he says nothing at all, but I melt until I’m a handful of hot butter dripping down his body. I want to eat every minute of this moment” 

- “I’m wearing dead cotton on my limbs and a blush of roses on my face”



Some may say it is lyrical or beautifully written, but for me not even close. Lauren Oliver and Maggie Stiefvater is the two authors that I admire because of how lyrical their words or story are, their writing style is phenomenal and Tahereh Mafi is not even close. I know I should not make comparisons but I can’t help it.


All in all, regardless of my difficulty in the writing style, reading this actually kept me entertained. I obviously don’t like it but I totally don’t hate it either. Adam, Kenji and the new revelations at the end actually saved the story for me. But I am still disappointed. Will I read the next book in the series? I’m not sure as of this moment. But I’m still open on giving it another chance, maybe…










View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment