Home

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Wither

Wither (The Chemical Garden, #1)Wither by Lauren DeStefano

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Wither is an easy read book. I devoured it for only a day, with the interruption of my son. Although I read it pretty much faster than I usually do, I really can’t say that I liked the book so much. It is somehow okay, neither great nor terrible. The writing is really good, excellent even. The plot has a great potential but it lacks of action, an adventure which every dystopian story has. Some parts are really just boring…



What’s really bugging me off are the characters. Rhine is ok but she has no great impact on me. Linden is just too weak for my standards. And Gabriel doesn’t really shine; he just somehow fades in the background. The only character that I liked is Cecily, although she is whiner and a brat at least she has the guts to stand out. I don’t know but the characters kind of ruined the book to me.



I admit I was pretty disappointed in this book. I expected a lot from it. The romance is barely there, it was not explored really well. Like I said there is no real adventure on this one, even when Rhine tries to escape. Rhine mostly talks about the bath, the dresses, how she was primped up. I think it was needed to established the story, but not necessary to be included in most chapters. There are so many unanswered questions. Oh well, maybe book two will be better than this one.





View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment