Home

Saturday, February 25, 2012

ASH

Ash by Malinda LoTitle: Ash 
Author: Malinda Lo
Published: Oct. 05, 2010 by Little, Brown and Co (1st published 09/01/09)
Format: Paperback
Pages: 264
Genre: YA Fantasy/Retelling


My rating: ★


Summary:
 In the wake of her father's death, Ash is left at the mercy of her cruel stepmother. Consumed with grief, her only joy comes by the light of the dying hearth fire, rereading the fairy tales her mother once told her. In her dreams, someday the fairies will steal her away, as they are said to do. When she meets the dark and dangerous fairy Sidhean, she believes that her wish may be granted.
Entrancing, empowering, and romantic, Ash is about the connection between life and love, and solitude and death, where transformation can come from even the deepest grief.
The day that Ash meets Kaisa, the King's Huntress, her heart begins to change. Instead of chasing fairies, Ash learns to hunt with Kaisa. Though their friendship is as delicate as a new bloom, it reawakens Ash's capacity for love-and her desire to live. But Sidhean has already claimed Ash for his own, and she must make a choice between fairy tale dreams and true love.


My Thoughts:


It will be too judgmental for me to give ASH a 1 star rating. But I can’t help it, that’s how I really feel about the book.


I don’t have any connections with the characters, Ash, Kaisa and Sidhean. It felt like I am just reading them, no interest in their life totally.


The writing style has the fairy tale essence that is pretty good. However, the plot is just too plain and ordinary. There is no spark and magical feel in the story. Sometimes I do think that saying it is a Cinderella retelling is just illogical, senseless. I really don’t mind about Ash’s choice and preferences but the way it was presented seems a little bit tacky.


I don’t have much to say about the book, it just that it doesn’t really work out for me and I simply don’t like it. I hate to say this but I wish I didn’t even bother reading this book because it totally shattered my illusion and fantasy about the Cinderella fairy tale. I really love it when I was a kid and I wanted it to stay it that way but now it was ruined.






View all my reviews

5 comments:

  1. I agree. The book was so-so. The author is really nice though! She actually stopped by my group and did a Q&A. You can look there too to see more comments on the book. http://www.goodreads.com/topic/group_folder/99035?group_id=3551

    Angie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear that I am not the only one who did not like it. Will definitely check the group. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the honest review, Chelle! I skimmed reading this book, and well... I guess I'd choose classic Cinderella story over this book. Not the best retelling of Cinderella. Your review is awesome though, I love reading honest ones! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hilda! I really don't like giving low rating on books. Glas that you somehow like the review! :-)

      Delete
  3. Oh no! It always sucks when you read a book you can't connect with, and I'm sorry it was that way with you and this book! :( But you shouldn't feel guilty about rating is like this at all -- I think that the best reviews are the honest ones, and it only makes me trust you as a blogger all the more! <3

    Thanks so much for the awesome honest review, Chelle! <3 :)

    ReplyDelete