Home

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Darker Still

Darker Still by Leanna Renee HieberTitle: Darker Still 
Author: Leanna Renee Hieber
Series: Magic Most Foul # 1
Published: Nov. 08, 2011 by Sourcebooks Fire
Format: Paperback
Pages: 317
Genre: YA Historical/Fantasy


My rating: ★ ★ ★

Summary:
I was obsessed. 
It was as if he called to me, demanding I reach out and touch the brushstrokes of color swirled onto the canvas. It was the most exquisite portrait I'd ever seen--everything about Lord Denbury was unbelievable...utterly breathtaking and eerily lifelike. 
There was a reason for that. Because despite what everyone said, Denbury never had committed suicide. He was alive. Trapped within his golden frame. 
I've crossed over into his world within the painting, and I've seen what dreams haunt him. They haunt me too. He and I are inextricably linked--bound together to watch the darkness seeping through the gas-lit cobblestone streets of Manhattan. Unless I can free him soon, things will only get Darker Still.


My Thoughts:


Darker Still is one of those books that I am having a hard time to decide if I like it or not. Maybe because one of the reasons why is that I got so confused while reading this book. And instead getting some answers at the end, I ended up more confused, and still my questions left unanswered.


I am expecting a spine-tingling adventure on this one but I didn’t get anything. Yes, Natalie’s ability to cross into the painting is such a fantastic concept but somehow it doesn’t impress me much the way it was executed. Aside from being confused, I got a little bored too. Simply because I felt like this story revolves only between Natalie, Lord Denbury and Mrs. Northe. Most of the situation is just them in it. I want some adventures, some mystery. I want to be creep out of my bones, but sadly I did not.


I am disappointed simply because I wanted more but I can’t deny the fact that the writing is really good. The ending seems so abrupt and too convenient. There are some insinuations that the next book will be more adventurous but at this point I am not sure if I am going to continue on with the series, maybe only if I read some good reviews in the next book.








View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment