Home

Monday, February 13, 2012

ILLUMINATED

Illuminated by Erica OrloffTitle: Illuminated 
Author: Erica Orloff
Published: December 08, 2011 by Speak [Penguin]
Format: Paperback
Pages: 244


My rating: ★ ★

Summary:Some loves are not made to last . . . Like Romeo and Juliet, Heloise and Abelard were doomed from the start, and their romance was destined to pass into history. Yet when sixteen-year-old Callie Martin discovers a diary hidden within an antique book, their story - and hers - takes on another life. For the diary leads Callie to the brilliant and handsome August, who is just as mysterious as the secret the diary hides. Their attraction is undeniable. As the two hunt down the truth behind the diary - and that of Heloise and Abelard's ancient romance - their romance becomes all-consuming. But Callie knows it can't last . . . love never does. Will their love that burns as bright as a shooting star flame out, or will these star-crossed lovers be able to defy history?

My Thoughts:


Why 2 stars? It is simply because I found the story about Calliope and August so unrealistic. Everything happens way too fast. Lately, I’m having a little issue with the instant love situation but I am not minding it that much because somehow it works with the story. But in this book, it is just way unbelievable. Flirting is one thing but thinking they have love for each other just merely hours after they met is just absurd. I’m not buying it!


At first, I thought that this was a Romeo and Juliet based story. I was wrong, the story is about Heloise and Abelard tragic love story [which I have no idea about them before, silly me]. Calliope and August life are inextricably linked together with Heloise and Abelard. Up to this point, I am not sure if this is a reincarnation story but there is some insinuation that it is.


Story concept is really good; I love the idea of it actually. The mystery involved in the story is a brilliant idea. But the way it was written is not that good; I am looking for more substance in the story. And one of the issues I have here is that we were given the impression that Calliope and August were star-crossed lovers and that they need to do something big to prove their love for each other. But to be honest, that is not the case. I am expecting an epic love story but it was a major failure.


I cannot give it a 1 star rating because it is not that bad. I know that some readers may love this more than I do, only if instant everything doesn’t bother them.






View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment