Home

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Switched

Switched by Amanda HockingTitle: Switched 
Author: Amanda Hocking
Series: Trylle # 1
Published: January 03, 2012 by St. Martin’s Griffin
Format: Paperback
Pages: 318
Genre: YA Paranormal


My rating: ★ ★ ★


Summary:
 When Wendy Everly was six-years-old, her mother was convinced she was a monster and tried to kill her. It isn't until eleven years later that Wendy discovers her mother might have been right. With the help of Finn Holmes, Wendy finds herself in a world she never knew existed - a world both beautiful and frightening, and Wendy's not sure she wants to be a part of it.


My Thoughts:


Now I’ve finally discovered why this book is a popular one. Simply because of one thing, TROLL, I can’t deny the fact that the concept of troll [or trylle] is very unique and intriguing.


I like this book, I really do, but I’m not impressed with it. Maybe because I am somewhat expecting a mind-blowing read but it’s not. Simply because I have some issues with the story plot and the characters and a little disappointed with it.


Wendy is an okay character but she is not a remarkable one. She is not as strong as I expected her to be. I am simply not impressed with Finn, for me he is not exciting enough. I don’t know why, but who knows, maybe on the next book he will redeem himself for me to like him. Rhys and Tove are the one that I found intriguing enough to capture my attention [and they are just secondary characters]. There is only one who actually evokes my emotions real hard and that is Elora, I truly hate her.


With the story plot, all I can say is that it is definitely a fast paced read. But even though it is an easy and fast read, I got bored. Why? Because most of the scenes took place in the “palace” or Elora’s house and nothing really happens except in the last part of the book. And I need more explanations about the Trylle world, their place and history. Or would I get those answers in the next book? It is just frustrating, I can even feel and relate to Wendy’s frustration when she was kept in the dark but they expected her to know everything and perform well. I hate those “let’s not talk about it” or “let’s talk about it later” lines that they told Wendy every time she asks a question, so freaking annoying.


I am not really convinced with the attraction that Wendy and Finn had for each other. I think the romance part somehow fell flat, I just don’t feel any love brewing in the air.


This is one of those books that didn’t fully captivate me but it arouses my curiosity enough to continue on with the series. I will definitely read Torn and Ascend hoping that those two are better than Switched .



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment