Home

Thursday, September 1, 2011

The Iron Thorn

The Iron Thorn (Iron Codex, #1)The Iron Thorn by Caitlin Kittredge


My rating: 3 of 5 stars


ratings: 3.5 stars



I am really having a hard time rating this book. Not sure if I should rate it 3 or 4 stars. So in the end, I settled for 3.5 stars.


Now, what can I say about The Iron Thorn? My reaction is that I love the first 100+ pages or so, got bored in the middle of the story. Then it became weird, lost interest on reading it. Then amazingly, it bounces back, found myself liking the remaining 100 pages of the book. The reason why? Too many freaking details! Which of course I know needed for the story. But some are just unnecessary that it overwhelmed me. Also I found it weird that folk/fairy stuff was mixed in with steampunk. Some readers may love the idea but for me it is just too much.


The writing style I admit is really good. Though it is not an easy read, the way the story was told is just fantastic. I love she how describes Lovecraft and the Graystone manor. The characters are quite good too. I definitely love Aoife though I hate her name. I had a hard time pronouncing it and until now I’m not sure how to pronounce it. Anyway, Aoife is really a strong girl, courageous and determined. Somehow her mistakes and stubbornness irritated me but I like it because it makes her more real. Dean is really an amazing character, though I know that he is young, he sound and act like an old guy. Now Cal, I’m not sure how I feel about him because I really don’t like him at the beginning of the story. Well, I think I never really like him at all despite the reasons why he acted like that.


The Iron Thorn is my 2nd steampunk novel and now I can finally say that it is not my favored genre. Or maybe I just haven’t found the steampunk novel that will blow my mind.





View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment