Home

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Matched

Matched (Matched, #1)Matched by Ally Condie

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


After a couple of days contemplating, my verdict is I like Matched. I admit, it may not be the best book that I've ever read, but it is not entirely bad... I am kind of hesitant to read this book because of the mixed reviews that I've read and heard. Some saying that the story was lifted from the other books, not that original. I have not read "The Giver" so I really can't compare it. Some saying that it was one of the worst book they have ever read. And because of it, this book was sitting in my shelf for 4 months. But I'm so glad I've finally decided to give it a try.



Cassia, our main protagonist, is an ok character for me. She follows the rule, yet she is somehow rebellious. She is strong and brave and yet at the same time has many weaknesses. She is sometimes stubborn and selfish and yet she values love and family. In other words, she is not perfect and I like her for that. We all know and aware that this book is dystopian but the story revolves around Love. That she is matched to her best friend Xander and then a glitch in the system happens and she saw Ky in her micro card.



Now, let’s talk about Xander and Ky. For me Xander is the total opposite of Ky. Xander is perfect, predictable, reliable, and safe whereas Ky is imperfect, unpredictable, unreliable (in terms of society standing) and somehow unsafe. Now you get what I mean?



There are some flaws about the book. First the society was not well explained. Second I really did not get why Cassia is so curious about Ky. Why she falls in love with him. Ky character is well too average for me; I can’t find a single reason why cassia is so interested in him. I think Xander character has a lot more potential. And lastly, what’s with the non-stop hiking? I don’t know I just did not get it. Maybe that is the only place where Cassia and Ky have some real privacy, but every scene about the two of them is in their hiking adventure. And in some parts I got tired of it and become so bored.



Yeah, the book is not perfect, but I did enjoy reading it. Maybe one of the reasons is I lower down my expectations. And I stopped comparing it to other books. Yes, the similarity is there, but I liked how she twist and turn those similarities to make it a new and different one. I did not expect it to be an action packed book simply because the main plot is about love. All in all, Matched is an ok book for me. I don’t love it but I don’t hate it either.



Will definitely read the second book Crossed and I’m hoping it will get a little better than the first one.





View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment